Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

I have been taking care of a wild baby cottontail rabbit for

Customer Question

I have been taking care of a wild baby cottontail rabbit for 7 days now. My dog ate his family. He is about 2-3weeks old. Ears weren't up when found him bit are now. He's doing really good. Nurses on his own and is not scared of people. My niece and her family wanted me to bring him over. They have a domestic rabbit and they allowed them to play together. It's been 2 days and now their rabbit doesn't feel good. But the baby rabbit seems fine. Could he be sick from the baby rabbit or might it just be coincidence?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. I have treated a lot of rabbits in my time. If the baby rabbit appears to be very healthy then I think it would be very unlikely that it could pass on any illness to another rabbit. I think you are probably just looking at a coincidence here.

2. What symptoms is your niece's rabbit showing?

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's been laying in the same spot all day. Pretty lethargic. They gave him pedialyte and mylicon. He sometimes gets stomach problems. They plan on keeping the wild bunny once it gets older. He has already become to domestic to release and has no fear of people.

Hello again,

Thanks for the further information ...

Basically rabbits would pretty well always be showing signs of disease before they could pass it on to another of their kind. It could be that the other rabbit is having a recurrence of his previous stomach problems and pedialyte and mylicon are a first reasonable approach. I know your niece will get a vet involved if things do not rapidly improve ...

Rabbits can become quite tame, it was good of you to take this little guy in ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. That will make them feel better about taking in Houdini later when he's big enough. And hopefully their rabbit will be fine in the morning. They just lost their dog this morning to pancreatitis. So they are already stressed from animal issues.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear about their dog, that must be very upsetting for them, pancreatitis can just strike out nowhere in the dog and can be a common cause of death...

Hopefully they will have few worries with the rabbits though.

Regards,

Scott.