Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

our small dog stepped on a large catepillar and is in pain

our small dog stepped on a large catepillar and is in pain and her paw is inflamed. what should we do?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Jelly B is in pain. This caterpillar may have toxins as well as brittle spines that may be causing the pain. the best thing to do for Jelly B now is to apply hot compresses to her paw every 4 hrs This will help draw out the spines and toxins and relieve the infection. Give aspirin to Jelly B at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to relieve her pain as long as she is eating well.

It may help to wrap the paw in between compresses after placing a cortisone ointment on this such as Cortaid that can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy. This should resolve in a few days.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Ed for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Jelly B's tangle with the caterpillar. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!