Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

Hello. My micro mini pig has abnormal tongue movements. He

Hello. My micro mini pig has abnormal tongue movements. He moves his tongue in and out of his mouth quickly, and it's pretty much all the time unless he's eating or sleeping. This started a couple days ago. He eats normally, sleeps fine, walks normally, and has no other symptoms. I am concerned, though. Any thoughts?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Dr Steve

Customer:

Hi, I'm Shawn

Dr. Steven Osborne :

It is good that he is eating and acting normally, this indicates that his problem is not likely to be a disease of infeciton that is spread throughout his body. It is more likely to be an issue with his mouth or oral cavity. ]

Customer:

I have looked and felt around in there, and he doesn't seem to have any pain or other issues.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

The other good thing is that since it hasn't affected his appetite and activity level over a few days, it is not likely to get worse soon.

Customer:

I guess my concern is that he got into something in our yard that is causing some kind of reaction. I know there are some plants that are toxic and we're not always out there to watch exactly what he's eating or rooting around in.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Somethings that could possibly cause his problem could be an ulcer or sore somewhere in his mouth or under his tongue. This coudl be a very tiny sore and still cause some discomfort that is causing him to do the abnormal tongue movements. Anything that would cause an unusual feeling or any discomfort in his mouth can cause a pig to do these tongue movements in an attempt to give some relief to the condition thatis bothering him

Customer:

And this would not normally cause him to eat less? (a small ulcer, etc.)

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Pigs are typically not very sensitive or susceptible to most yard plants. If it was a plant toxicity I would expect him to be worse or better in the time that he has been doing this.

Customer:

Also, he is about three months old. Could teething be an issue?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Another possibility could be a sore or infected tooth. If this, or an ulcer was on one side of the mouth, he could quickly learn to chew on the other side or avoid putting pressure n any area that is tender.

Customer:

Yes, no diarrhea or problems urinating. My real worry is that he is unhappy (we just got him) and that this is some kind of neuroses. And, let me tell you, we have plenty of neuroses around here already (ha ha).

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Usually most of the adult teeth are in by 3 months of age, however if he does have a late erupting adutl tooth, that could be an issue.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

In my experience, anxiety or neurosis in animals usually show up in different ways like refusing to eat, inappropriate urination or defecation ( going in the house when they usually don't) or lethargy and listlessness. Since he is acting normally, it souldne more like a localized problem in his mouth. Is he salivating more than usual?

Customer:

Yes, a little. It's a bit frothy, but not excessive. He has peed in the house after not doing so for the first few days of being here. (We've only had him for about two weeks).

Dr. Steven Osborne :

an isolated accident is not classic anxiety, it tends to start and become consistent. If he has been with you for a few weeks and is now just starting this it doesn't sound like a classic anxiety or neurosis issue.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Your options at this point is to watch him for another few days to see if the condition improves, which it may if it is a small ulcer which may heal in time or if it is a late erupting tooth or take him to your vet during regular business hours to avoid an emergency fee to have his mouth thoroughly examined to see what is going on.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If you choose to wait and watch, be ready to take him in if his activity level changes, if he stops eating or if any other symptoms show up. If he is looked at sooner and his specific proble discovered, then treatment can be started and he can get some relief from this irritaiton.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your time and advice. I guess we'll just have to see what happens over the next couple days.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

That is on accetable plan and in some cases even if you have it looked at the treatmeent may be let it heal on its own, depending on what it is of course. My thoughts is that this is annoying to you and him, but so far it doesn't sound like it is serious yet and may not get to be any worse. I

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. If you have more questions, please continue. Thanks for using just answer and good luck

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery