Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

A few hours ago I rescued a rabbit from a cat. It has a cut

Customer Question

A few hours ago I rescued a rabbit from a cat. It has a cut that looks pretty bad but i do not have the money to take to the local animal hospital. Is there anything I can do at home to help it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You should be able to manage this at home. Rabbits have pretty thin skin, so lacerations are common. I would first clean up the wound with a dilute hand soap/ water mixture. That will help flush the bacteria out of the wound.

You can then use some liquid bandaid tissue glue. This is usually sufficient to close up these lacerations.

If you notice that it gets swollen or oozes a green/ yellow fluid, then I would worry at that point of an infection. In that case, you'll need to see a vet and get antibiotics.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying but the rabbit died unfortunatly.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. There must have been some internal injuries that you were not aware of.