Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Knowledgable on pet behavior and health.

My cat Cali just turned three. She has been at the hospital

Customer Question

My cat Cali just turned three. She has been at the hospital for a little over two days. The vets can't seem to figure out what is wrong. They did blood tests, xrays, a sonogram, and even tested for leukemia. She would not eat or drink anything. They had to hydrate and feed get and give her all different medications. They said it could possibly be an inflamed pancreas but they weren't sure. When we brought her there, her fever was 105.7 then spiked to over 106. They gave her steroids and it dropped to 105.2 so we thought she was getting better. Today, the vet said her fever went up again. They are charging us a lot of money for something they can't figure out. I don't want her to die, can you please help?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 1 year ago.

Veterinarian101 :

Hi, my name is XX XXXX and I am here to help.

Veterinarian101 :

Did the blood tests show anything in particular?

Veterinarian101 :

They say there may be a pancreas problem - they may have seen this on the sonogram or possibly did they do a feline pancreatic lipase test?

Veterinarian101 :

I see you are offline so I will switch modes so you can reply when you return.

Customer : Yes they did.
Veterinarian101 :

Sorry I am not sure which question you are answering.

Veterinarian101 :

Pancreatic lipase test?

Veterinarian101 :

Ultrasound show pancreatic problem?

Veterinarian101 :

Or blood tests showing something?

Customer : Yes they ran all tests. The fever just won't go away bitty nothing seems to be wrong with her.
Veterinarian101 :

Yes the fever concerns me this is uncommon in pancreatic problems. Have they discussed feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) at all?

Customer :

I believe they discussed it with my mother. they claimed to have ran all the blood tests, they ran all other rests, and did the sonogram/ultasound

Customer :

when they give her the steroids her fever seems to drop a little. today she ate 6 pieces of her food on her own and when I visited her she walked around a bit but then went to lay down the rest of the time.

Customer :

because the vet hospital cannot come up with a diagnosis, we are supposed to pick her up tomorrow and they are going to show us how to inject the steroids and all the above. We bought wet cat food and syringes so we can feed and give her water if she does not do it on her own. I am just concerned. Can it just be that she has a fever and it takes a few days to break? Do cats in this type of case usually not make it?

Hi Chloe,
I have switched modes now.

Did your vet discuss FIP at all?
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m Camille, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille