Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

My dog had a mass and 2 teeth removed from her mouth yesterday.

My dog had a mass and 2 teeth removed from her mouth yesterday. Her doctor prescribed Deramaxx 25 once a day for her pain. I am wondering if Deramaxx is a cox 2 inhibitor and is it appropriate for surgical pain?
Hi,Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Derramax (deracoxib) is predominantly a COX 2 inhibitor. It is a coxib class NSAID FDA-approved for use in dogs for treatment of post-operative pain. It is very commonly used in post surgical situations like this for pain management.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should have also asked about dosage. She is 35.6 lbs and is on, I guess, 25mg a day. The bottle reads Deramax 25. Her appetite is good but she is very mopey today. I guess I should expect that but the way the Doctor described what he did, "I had to dig really deep," I just don't want her to be in pain if it can be avoided. Believe it or not, I am a surgical nurse who constantly reminds people that it may be unrealistic to expect to be pain free after surgery, but this is MY little girl.

I'm glad you have the vast post surgical experience you have. Short of general anesthesia or a complete nerve block to a certain region, complete elimination of pain isn't realistic. Our goal is to control pain as much as possible. The Derramax is a very good pain medication, but for some it is combined with oral Tramadol to help control discomfort even more. The Derramax is typically dosed at 1-2 mg/kg once a day so the 25 mg once a day fits right in this range.