Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my four moth old pitbull is passind blood he has been doing

Customer Question

my four moth old pitbull is passind blood he has been doing it for two or three weeks now but it was always in little spots, But foe the last two days it has gotton bad. Please help. I was trying to hold out until the first of the moth so I can take him to a vet. He has not had any shots.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Does Leo have diarrhea or loose stools?

Is he still eating well and active?

Has anything changed such as different food or any stress?

Thank you!

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES IT WELL GO BACK AND FORTH. tHERFE IS NO STRESS THAT I CAN THINK OF. HE STOPED EATTING AND PLAYING YEASTERDAY AND HAS BEEN JUST LIEING UNDER MY BED WERE HE SLEEPS MOST NIGHT.

Thank you Charles for that information...

This blood that you see is due to the stool irritating the very sensitive rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. This will resolve once the stool is back to normal and is not serious for Leo.

For now follow these instructions:

Fast Leo for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Leo Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better, Charles, then wean him back to his food. If he is still having problems, then take him to your vet. I worry about the fact that he has not had vaccines and this could be caused by an infection that will require veterinary attention.

Does that make sense to you, Charles?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you I will do what you say. Ihope it helps, and he will see a vet as soon as I get paid. Ithank you so much, and have a blessed day.

You are very welcome, Charles....I really hope that this helps Leo past this....in most mild case, it will....
Hi Charles,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta