Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

swollen penis

swollen penis
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me five minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

This is a situation which happens now and again and the technical term for it is paraphimosis, the usual problem is that the dog is unable to retract his foreskin because of an erection. The trapped foreskin can prevent blood flow from the penis and swelling of the penis can occur. This is situation which has to be handled promptly.

1. What to try is to gently lubricate the shaft of the penis use a lubricant gel if you have access to any or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract and unroll the foreskin back to it's normal position.

2. If this is not possible then another approach is to make up a warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large cup or container, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar which will reduce swelling, you have to do this for about twenty minutes.

3. If you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense means then you should have your vet handle the situation, do this sooner rather than later before permanent damage occurs, as is possible.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Kaiser is getting on.

How did things go?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Nimmo

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Everything went fine. At about 11PM, after our correspondence, I lubricated Keiser's penis with pure sunflower cooking oil. It seemed swollen at the tip - resembling a bulb. With some gentle manipulation for about 5 minutes, I was able to place about half of the penis into the foreskin sheath. It also seemed that the swelling at the tip of the penis disappeared.

Kaiser was not in any distress at all at any time. I then took him and my other dog out for a small walk. I was unable to determine if he urinated (I was in much distress).

Kaiser then went to sleep and I awoke him at about 2AM for another walk. His penis was still halfway outside of the foreskin sheath. Keiser did urinate several time and when we returned home I was very relieved to see that the penis had completely retracted into the foreskin.

I think he was bitten by insect in the dog park as it is now the hottest days of south Florida's summer and we had returned from there at about 7:30 PM. Kaiser has a habit of scratching his bottom on the grass.

Obviously because everything ended well and I avoided the stress and costs of the veterinary emergency room I rate your services more than just "OK" and I will add a bonus for services.

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the update, I was wondering how he was doing.

Well all's well that ends well :-)

Kindest regards,

Scott