Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My six month old guinea pig chews and eats her edible nest.

My six month old guinea pig chews and eats her edible nest. However, a warning on the product warns not to let your pet ingest the material. Will this behaviour harm my guinea pig? Should we remove the nest?   If we give Lilac a maple stick to chew will she no longer chew on the nest?

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would take the nest out if she is ingesting it. The worry is that we could end up with an obstruction in the small intestine if too much is ingested. It's not likely toxic, but it can irritate the gut and potentially obstruct it.

I would go with a small guinea pig bed or one of those small huts for her to lay and sleep in.

You don't need to give a maple stick. The hay that you feed is plenty for her to chew on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am happy with this service but, before I rate it, I have a follow-up question. What kind of hut is safe to put in the cage and what is it made of? The nest I was referring to is a round hut made out of bamboo but with no dyes on it. Which hut would you recommend?

You can use a plastic hut. I don't like putting wood huts or nests in as they'll destroy them by chewing on them. Some weak plastics and nylon can also get destroyed with chewing.

I would go with a hard plastic hut or a cloth bed/ nest. They typically will leave those alone. The cloth can also go in a washing machine for easy cleaning.
Hi Stephen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilac. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Dr. Gary. Thank you for following-up so promptly. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to you.

Lilac is happy and healthy. She is showing no signs of illness. We removed the bamboo nest and replaced it with a hide house that is made of Timothy hay. She likes this nest and it will be safe for her to chew on since we feed her Oxbow Timothy hay and vegetable treats.

We have peace of mind now that we know Lilac will not suffer an obstruction of the gut. We appreciate your timely advice and you may have just saved Lilac's life. We lost our beloved, twenty-year old cat to old age this past February and it would have broken our hearts to lose another pet.

Thank You!

Stephen xxxxxx and Family,

xxxxxx Canada.

P.S. Where are you located in the United States? I am interested in geography.

That's great, I'm glad she likes the new house.

I'm in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Kind of between Detroit and Chicago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems when I requested info in June I must have inadvertently requested a membership. This was not my intention. The matter I referred to you was promptly dealt with and we followed your advice and provided Lilac with an edible hide house and also made no further effort to provide her with a maple branch. Can you cancel my membership No. XXX-XXX-XXXX CA? If more advice is required re the health of Lilac I will contact you again at that time. Will you please let me know when the above account is cancelled.

Thank you!

Stephen xxxxx

[email protected]

Hey Stephen.

I don't deal with any of the membership or monetary issues on the site. You can email or call the site directly and get the membership cancelled and any inadvertant payments refunded.

Here's a page that should have the appropriate contacts: