Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Small dog is frantic, running around, running into things.

Small dog is frantic, running around, running into things. Acts like he is in pain, as he runs he kicks one hind leg out backward. Leg trembles when he is standing there. Any thoughts?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

My guess would be that this is a luxating patella. That is where the knee cap (patella) pops in and out of the groove that it normally sits in. This is a very common condition in small breed dogs. It's usually mild and does not cause any problems/ pain.

Many dogs will have an intermittent lameness when the area becomes inflamed. They will also do that typical pose where they stretch a leg out behind them or to the side to pop the kneecap back into place. Those dogs will do well with pain meds/ anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Tramadol or Deramaxx.

Some dogs will have problems daily or weekly and this will require surgery to deepen the groove or change the shape of the patella to make it sit more snugly in that groove.

For your dog, some pain meds and rest should be all that is needed at this point. I would just keep him crated tonight and then see your vet tomorrow for some anti-inflammatory meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would that cause him to run around frantically? Is that due to pain?

Yeah, that's a response to pain. Crating him or confining him to a small area will help with the discomfort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Gary. You get a full smiley face for the help.

You're very welcome, happy to help.