Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

my cat had a leg amputated due to cancer. That was over a

my cat had a leg amputated due to cancer. That was over a year ago. He has smelled bad for a approx two months or more. I could not afford vet bills. But now he has stopped eating altogether and smells really bad. Just lies and hardly moves.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. It sounds like the cancer has likely spread in the body. This is common even following amputation. There will be cancer cells that seed elsewhere in the body and they can cause this lethargy, anorexia and weakness.

The smell may be due to his lack of grooming that may have been going on longer.

I would try to get him to a vet. They will likely end up finding a mass in the chest or abdomen after an exam +/- x-rays of him. Unfortunately, the chance of her recovering and getting back to a normal quality of life are poor. It's not wrong to decide to euthanize at this point as it sounds like her quality of life is poor right now.

I'm sorry again that you're in this situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.