Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

I have a 3 1/2 year old Pomeranian that has been diagnosed

Customer Question

I have a 3 1/2 year old Pomeranian that has been diagnosed with lipid deposits in her eyes. She had small white dots in the middle if her eyes. Her triglyceride level are 5 times the normal range. We have tried to put her on a low fat diet food with little success. All of her other blood work seems to be fine including her glucose and thyroid level. The only way I can get her to eat low fat dry dog food is by spinkling a little sugar on her food. Am I harming by doing this. She is such a picky eater. She vomits if her stomach is empty and then I have to give her some nutrical or some karo to get her blood sugar level up and then she will eat. Would I be better off feeding her boiled chicken. Is this a genetic problem that there is nothing I can do about. I need to know how to feed her
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting patiently for an answer
Hello again Cathy and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. This is a disease I had first hand experience with as one of the breeders on my books { Cavalier King Charles Spaniels } had blood lines which were affected with this condition. I have researched this { Corneal lipid (cholesterol) deposits in the eye } in depth for this client but at the end of the day there does not seem to be much know about it. However I can tell you the following with some certainty :

A. What causes it? : This thought to be an inherited condition, this would be the most common cause. It will not affect all the dogs in an affected blood line though just one or two. It can sometimes be due to corneal degeneration but this would be secondary to some other extreme eye condition which in most cases would be very obvious.

B. What is the outlook for affected dogs? : It would be quite rare for this condition to progress to a point where there is any significant vision loss. In fact I have never seen this, most affected dogs manage just fine, the disease is rarely progressive once the spots are evident, usually there are only a few. Affected dogs should not be bred from though.

C. Treatment? : There is no treatment other than suggesting a low fat diet but this is largely anecdotal. Over more than a ten year period I have not know dietary changes make one bit of difference to affected dogs, once the spots had formed they stayed much the same whatever happened. My personal view now is to tell the owners just to treat these dogs as normal and feed them as normal. Special low fat diets have never helped in my experience ...

While you should limit your dog's sugar intake as much as possible you should do whatever it takes to keep her eating. Small breed dogs like yours can be very picky! Sometimes soaking the dry food in gravy from a stock cube does the trick.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing we have noticed in the past is that her sclera gets red and irritated at first the vet thought it was allergies or an eye infection. We have been using gentamicin and prednisone drops and the redness would go away but then come. She seems irritated with her eyes and wipes them constantly. After her lab work came back and was told it is lipid deposits in her eyes I stopped using the drops but her eyes still look irritated. I. Use them again and the redness goes away but then come. Is this related to the lipid deposits? When I look at pictures of her from 2 years ago I do see white dots in her eyes. So I am agreeing with you that this is probablygenetic. However what would be causing the redness and irritation. Can the redness be more related to a corneal degeneration or just hereditary. Mika come from a show dog line. But we have not use her to breed. We just paid more for her because I wanted a show dog. I love either way but her eyes are bothering her she squints and her eyes get red and other days she fine Thank you
Hello again Cathy ,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

I think it very likely that you are dealing with two separate two eye conditions here, one being corneal cholesterol deposits the other being some form of inflammatory eye condition. It would be very unusual for there to be any connection.

As long as the cholesterol deposits are not getting much worse then you would have little to worry about on that score but you should keep trying to treat the inflammatory eye condition.

Such conditions can be allergic in origin, they can also be due to chronic infections, extra eyelashes either ingrowing or behind the eyelid and a myriad or other possibilities. Sometimes it ends up that you just have to treat Mika's eye now and again when it flares up.

No easy solutions I am afraid all you can do is to keep working with your vet on this one ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Cathy ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards and good luck with Mika ...,

Scott