Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

I adopted a dog yesterday who was just neutered 2 days ago

Customer Question

I adopted a dog yesterday who was just neutered 2 days ago so he has a he was dry humping, and it took about 45 minutes to go "down", well it doesn't seem to go all the way back in the "sleeve" (sorry, don't know what else to call it)... the dog doesn't let me near him, but my 10 year old daughter says it looks like air bubbles, large ones, around the tip that are keeping it from being able to go back in. I need someone to tell me something to do.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long has Sebastian's penis been out of the sheath or prepuce?

After urinating did his penis reduce in size?

Are you seeing any swelling around the incision?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sebastians penis has been out for about 3 hours, the tip has been

after urinating his penis did not reduce in size

no we aren't seeing any swelling around the incision

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Sebastian is uncomfortable and his penis has been unable to retract for a couple of hours now. This can be a concerning disorder in male dogs especially if his penis has been out of the prepuce for a couple of hours. The most common causes of what you are seeing is swelling either in the penis or the prepuce which prevents that penis from retracting normally. Being neutered recently can cause swelling in either part as he is most likely uncomfortable from the surgery. Another cause would be if he had some hair from the prepuce that had become stuck inside of the tissue which then prevents the penis from retracting normally.

At this time, he does need to help in order to get his penis in the proper location. If he will not let you look at the area and/or will not allow you to touch him then you may have to take him to an emergency vet to get more help. They will examine his prepuce to make sure there is not any hair present and then apply a lubricant and possibly some cold water to help reduce some of the swelling.

If he will let you touch the area, then you can apply some vaseline or KY jelly to the penis and then gently try to push it make into the prepuce. You can also use some cold water to reduce some swelling. If this is not working or he will not let you then unfortunately taking him to a vet is going to be the best option to help him tonight. I honestly would not wait until tomorrow to get him help as he will continue to get worse and the tip of his penis will get very irritated and dried out which can be very painful for him.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hi Cassandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sebastian. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt