Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

we have a 6 week old kitten we purchased today and when we

we have a 6 week old kitten we purchased today and when we got it home noticed watery pink stools and much rawness around rectum. We contacted the breeder and she now informs us the mother had coccidia last week. The kitten is dragging his bottom on the floor as well but is drinking quite a bit of water. Can this kitten wait until morning to go to the vet first thing?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is she vomiting?

Is she drinking the water and eating the cottage cheese when this was offered to her?

Are you seeing any bleeding from her anus?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is not vomiting and is active. She is drinking a lot but haven't seen her eat. You cannot see the bleeding per say but her anus is VERY wet and we are seeing pink tinting fluid on the floor

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

Congratulations on your new kitten though I am very sorry to hear she is having very loose pink tinged stools. Coccidia is a intestinal parasites that can cause quite a bit of irritation in the large intestine which makes kittens have very loose stools which can cause inflammation on the anal tissue. Since she is acting quite active and is drinking well, I do think that she should be just fine to monitor overnight and then take her in to your vet in the morning. If she does start to act lethargic or seems to have red blood in her stool or coming from her anus, then I would consider taking her to a vet tonight as this is much more serious since she is so little.

For tonight, I would use a warm water bath to help keep her anus area clean. Try to avoid wiping her anus with anything abrasive, baby wipes should be fine, but a warm water bath to rinse the area is even better. You can apply a small amount of vaseline to her anus area to help protect it from scalding due to the stool. This usually works well and is safe even if she ingests any of it.

Overall make sure that she is getting plenty of fluids tonight. If she will not drink water, pedialyte and low sodium chicken broth is fine. You can also feed her some cottage cheese or even some meat flavored baby food if she will not eat regular kitten food.

Your vet will prescribe her a medication that should get rid of the Coccidia very quickly such as Albon.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information! One last question we have other indoor pets. Is this contagious to them or us? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Coccidia is very species specific therefore the Coccidia would only be contagious to other cats if you have more. I would make sure that the kitten uses her own litter box and clean any area she may have had an accident with diluted bleach to prevent any spread. If you do not have other cats then there is nothing to worry about with Coccidia. This organism is not contagious to people therefore you are safe also.

Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Unnamed. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt