How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 27782
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidentally dropped a vit-d 200iu gel cap. I searched everywhere

This answer was rated:

I accidentally dropped a vit-d 200iu gel cap. I searched everywhere and can't find it. I did not see,nor, were my pets, x2 cats and a border collie, seen eating it. I'm wrought. Please advise.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much do the cats and Hank weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hank #74, BooBoo#9 & Dooby#14.9

Shelly, the toxic dose of vitamin D is 4,000IU/kg (100mcg/kg). If any of your cats or dog ate the 200 IU of Vitamin D it will not be toxic. No need to be concern, no symptoms expected.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Peter-I,m sorry. The vitamin-D gel tab was 2000iu.

Shelly, not a problem. At 2,000 iu it will not be toxic either. Let us take BooBoo who is the smallest as an example. Based on her weight if BooBoo took the pill that comes out to 500 IU/kg. In other words, for every kilogram that BooBoo weighs she will get 500 IU. And, the toxic dose is 4,000 IU/kg. So, this will not be toxic for none of them. They will all be fine. No worries.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much.

Your Welcome.