Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

we have 2 cats,a domestic (male) and a Maine Coon (female).

Customer Question

we have 2 cats,a domestic (male) and a Maine Coon (female). both have been neutered, both are 3 years old. all of a sudden, the Maine Coon is hissing at the other one, then she runs and hides for the rest of the day. She'll come out at night (in our bed) but is "on guard", watching through the doorway for the other cat. The domestic seems to miss his playmate, and will sit near her hiding place, until he gets hissed at. Sometimes he will hiss back, but not always.Before this started, he would occasionally bite her on the back of the neck. I've been told this is a mating ritual. we don't know what caused this, or what to do about it. I used to come home from work and find them sleeping in the recliner together. Not anymore. how do we stop the hissing and get them to be friends again? this has been going on now for about 1 week.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

What you describe is actually not uncommon, you see cats recognise each other not only by sight but by smell as well and perhaps in other ways we are not aware of. Something has happened here, perhaps something very subtle such as a minor change in smell to make one of your cats recognise the other as a stranger.

I guess you cats have not had surgery or recently been to the vets but where we usually see this is when a cat has had an operation and then comes home again, the cat will smell different, perhaps even have an anaesthetic smell still on it's breath but certainly a vet clinic smell and they may be walking differently if they feel a bit weak after the operation. This is quite enough for any other cat in the household the to think there is a stranger on his or her territory and act accordingly by attacking the other cat { Their previous best friend! } at once.

I am sure the above is a good explanation but the good news is that whatever the reason if you are patient with your cats things will almost always slowly return to normal over the period of time as they get used to each other again. But this could take quite a few weeks.

One thing to try in the meantime is Feliway, I have know this to be very successful in just the situation you describe, this is well worth a try. Here is a link to this product : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hi Janet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help! Things are slowly improving, as you said they would. They have both recently been to the vet for check-up and teeth cleaning, etc., so this makes perfect sense. Thank you again, I feel much better about it now.

Thanks so much for the update,

Glad things are improving.

Regards,

Scott