Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I woke up this morning and my dog was fine, but then I looked

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and my dog was fine, but then I looked at his eyes. His left eye is sort of drooping and he acts like he can't see out of it. When I put my hand over the right eye, his left closes and it's like the light is too strong to keep his eye open. It has a little discharge, but mostly it is just I can see the white at the bottom of his eyelid which is drooping. My Vet is closed today and I am traveling with him tomorrow for 2 days. Should I wait until I come back with him and see wht happens or should I go to the Emergency Vet?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From your description, it appears that Bisciut may have injured this area during the night which has caused a neurologic issue. The fact that the eye is drooping and may have lost some sight may mean that he has hit his head causing an interference with the nerve supply to the skin surrounding the eye and/or the eye itself. You have doe the correct thing for now which is to apply drops of Artificial tears that will keep Biscuits eye moist and flush away any irritants or bacteria.

If Biscuit were mine, I would be very uncomfortable leaving him without having his eyes checked. Eye issues can be very serious especially if left untreated,. I would strongly recommend that you take Biscuit to the ER vet so you know for sure that the correct treatment is being given to him. I know this is expensive but I worry very much if you leave this untreated while traveling which could make thing worse. Eye issues can be very sensitive.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Deborah for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Biscuit's eye issue. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Hi Deborah Becker,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Biscuit. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta