Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have a older female cat and we have noticed in the last couple

Customer Question

I have a older female cat and we have noticed in the last couple of monthes she is been sick after every meal sometimes it is everything she has eaten and not digested any of it so switched her to rice and chicken and the cat has had a large weight loss and the rice and chicken doesn't seem to be putting any weight back on her age is roughly 10years
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Coco today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It definitely sounds as if Coco needs to have a thorough physical exam performed by your veterinarian. There are very many reasons why cats vomit, some more serious than others. Vomiting is a vague sign that can be associated with simple things like dietary indiscretion to more serious things like intestinal obstruction or metabolic disorders. In young cats, we usually are a little more worried about foreign body ingestion. We decide how aggressive we need to be in diagnosing and treating it based on how severe the symptoms and how long it has been going on.

In her case, since the vomiting is associated with weight loss, I would be most worried about the cause of the problem being located in the GI tract itself. Many cats have a low grade chronic pancreatitis which can be a challenge to confirm as it is not always evident on routine bloodwork. Along with that, many of these same cats also have a degree of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or intestinal cancer. Unfortunately, either of these can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound but that is always where we start when working up causes of vomiting and diarrhea. It is best to rule out the easy to rule out things first before getting more aggressive with diagnostics. An overactive thyroid gland can be another cause of weight loss in cats and is usually diagnosed easily via a blood test.

When dealing with disease of the GI tract, it is usually not a critical what they are eating (unless it is a food allergy problem), when we are trying to control the symptoms and get them to gain weight. It becomes more important to identify the cause and treat that if we want to alleviate the symptoms.

I would urge you to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian soon. After a thorough exam of Coco, they will be better able to advise you of what further diagnostics may be needed.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your information we will take it on board but unfortunalty coco doesn't have any insurance so the vet fees will be to much for us

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
I would still start with the exam and go from there. There is a lot of information that can be gained by a thorough physical. After that, if you make your vet aware of your restraints, they will be able to help you prioritize how to best proceed. In some cases, where we are not able to proceed with the diagnostics that we would like, we are at least able to use a trial of medication and evaluate to the response as a guide of possible conditions that could be the cause. For example, if we "suspect" inflammatory bowel disease, we will sometimes try a course of steroids and evaluate response.

Even working with limitations, having her examined first if the most logical step.

Please reply if further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?

Dr Z