Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

how do I treat my dog after she was bitten by a rat.......she

Customer Question

how do I treat my dog after she was bitten by a rat.......she killed the rat and may have injested some of its remanis.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Where is the bite located?
2- How long has it been since it occurred?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she able to lick the area?
2- Is she pawing at the wound?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes to question 1
yes to question 2

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
The concern with a rat bite would be a localized infection. If she is licking the wound it will be difficult to apply topical antibiotics because she will lick it off. She is going to need oral antibiotics from family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from pawing at the wound. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from pawing at wound.
2- Flush the wound with plain water for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. The flushing action will prevent an infection and promote granulation tissue. Do not let the wound to scab, it should close from the inside out.
3- Within several days of doing the above you will see the wound develop a bright red tissue that bleeds easily, this is a good sign. Once you see this bright red tissue the wound will begin to contract and close.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter