Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

My dog is constipated and our vet said to give him a T. of

My dog is constipated and our vet said to give him a T. of pumpkin in his food, or some benefiber or metamucil. So far, this isn't helping. How long is it okay for him to go without pooping safely. He is an old dog, is on alot of medications, and now has a tumor on his spleen. I am worried about him. It is Sat. night, but we are out of town and I am wondering if I should take him in before Monday to a vet or wait it out and see if he goes tomorrow?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

When is the last time that Buddy had a bowel movement?

Is he vomiting?

What other medications is he currently taking?

Is he eating normally?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Buddy has an ultra sound on Thursday morning and then he pooped after it. I do not know for sure if he pooped yesterday . He is not vomiting.He is on alot of medications: soloxine ( 1/2 a day) mirtazapine, cerenia, famotadine, and DGB. He has been diagnosed with a tumor on his spleen and pancreatis. He is urinating okay and eating okay, just no poop. His last poop had blood in it after the ultra sound. I thought he would be back to normal, but now I am really worried tonight as we are 2 and a half hours away from home.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Buddy was diagnosed with a tumor on his pancreas and spleen. Tumors like this can definitely disrupt his intestines which can cause him to have loose stools or constipation like you are seeing. True constipation is when a dog has not defecating for about 4 days and is straining to try to pass a bowel movement. Since he defecated on Thursday, that means that worst case scenario it has been about 2 days plus since he has had a bowel movement. As long as he is not straining to try to pass a bowel movement, is vomiting, and does not seem bloated or uncomfortable in his belly area, I would recommend giving him more time with the canned pumpkin and benefiber.

Sometimes these fiber sources do not help enough though therefore if he does not have a bowel movement by tomorrow another option would be to give him a stool softener to help make it easier for him. A safe and effective stool softener for dogs is Colace (Docusate) that can be purchased at any drug store. He can safely take about 100 mg every 12 hours. This medication can sometimes cause cramping is given for too many days therefore I would suggest only a couple of doses for him.

Overall if he does not seem to be passing a bowel movement even with the stool softener and is eating well then I would contact your vet again as he really should be seen to make sure that he is not getting bloated due to constipation.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. He does seem to be a bit bloated, but isn't trying to defecate today. I will call the vet tomorrow if the colace does not work.thanks!

You are very welcome Ann!