Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Can a dog be injured by vet employees cleaning the anual glands?

Customer Question

Can a dog be injured by vet employees cleaning the anual glands? My dog is worst since having her glands cleaned. She runs and sit on something soft and licks her genitals.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

I am sorry to hear that Molly is having these problems. How long ago were her anal glands emptied?

Dr Z :

Were they very full or impacted when they expressed them? Did they tell you they emptied a lot out or that there was any problem in emptying them?

Customer:

3 days ago for the second time. They were empty. They were cleaned last Thrusday for the first time. Took her back to vet because she was still having problem.

Dr Z :

Were they very full the first time?

Customer:

Not sure. They didn't say and I forgot to ask. I take her regularly for cleaning.

Dr Z :

Ok, it is very possible that her discomfort and licking is not related to her anal glands at all. Is the skin in that area red or irritated?

Customer:

No. The vet didn't see anything either. But something is bothering her, so I was just wondering if she was injured inside some way. She wants me to take her food and water to her while she sits on the rug.

Dr Z :

I have seen cases where a dog seems more uncomfortable after the anal glands are emptied than before, but it is not really due to an "injury" as much as possible irritation or inflammation after the glands were squeezed. It would be really hard to create an injury unless the duct was obstructed and you squeezed the gland but the fluid could not find a way out.

Dr Z :

If they told you they were empty however, that is unlikely.

Dr Z :

I guess it is possible they said they were empty because they couldn't express them, but you may want to verify that they were infact empty based on being small in size. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes. I will take her back to the vet Monday if she is not better. Thanks.

Dr Z :

You are very welcome. If her anal glands are truly empty, have them do a skin cytology of the skin around the anus to make sure she does not have a secondary bacterial or yeast infection leading to her licking.

Customer:

OK

Dr Z :

Please keep me updated as to her progress.

Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating and bonus. It is truly appreciated.