Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 11mo old malti-shu got into some bleu cheese and has had

My 11mo old malti-shu got into some bleu cheese and has had diarrhea for 4days. We have been giving her liquid imodium. 3ml (she is 8 pounds). She was very lethargic the 1st day but has regain her pep. She isnt eating anything. Trying rice and chicken. Today is day 4 and she threw up the imodium. I really thought she was on the mend.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Is she still lethargic?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is 8 pounds. She is no longer lethargic. I am at work, I cant check her gums

Diane, though we sometimes use Loperamide in dogs in cases of diarrhea, when the intestines are hyperactive or where there is a possibility of an infection, it is best not to use an anti diarrheal or things can become worst. Diarrhea is not a disease but one of the ways the body utilizes to eliminate unwanted things. Instead, please follow the below recommendations, though conservative very effective.

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her belly time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit, diarrhea or not willing to eat after doing the above, she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is doing much better, thank you!

Your Welcome.