Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 3 yro cat is sensitive in her hind quarter, the base of

My 3 yro cat is sensitive in her hind quarter, the base of her tail. After using the litter box she drags her but on the rug. Is this a sign of some infection of her anal glans/sacks?
She has been to the vet but I have questions of his findings. She drinks plenty of water.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

With pain in the hind end and dragging her butt on the ground, it sounds like she has impacted anal glands. We don't routinely check these on a physical exam in a cat. That may be why it was missed.

I would get a recheck and make sure they do a rectal on her to check her glands. They should also check for any abscess formation around the base of the tail and under the tail- we'll sometimes see infections in this area.

They should be able to empty the glands and then potentially put her on antibiotics to get this resolved.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rose. How is everything going?