Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience:  Works at a veterinary teaching hospital to bring you the best.
74509961

I have a 6 week old Saanan kid who has started breathing rapid

I have a 6 week old Saanan kid who has started breathing rapid and shallow, won't take her bottle, and is weak and listless. She does not have a fever (her temp is 103), and she does not have diarrea. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christina replied 1 year ago.

My name isXXXXX and I am here to try and answer your questions.

My fear is the same as yours, that little Sweatpea has pneumonia. I think she needs antibitics. I would continue to give her tetracycline for her appropriate body weight once a day for at least 5 days. You should not give 1 injection, as this can sometimes cause resistance. If she is not responding in a couple days, then I would have her seen by a veterinarian. She may need stronger antibiotics and some IV fluids to give her some strength back.

If her breathing is bad, then I would call a veterinarian immediately to give her supplemental oxygen until we can get her through this. Keeping her warm and draft free is excellent! I would also make sure she is not in contact with any other kids. If she will take food willingly, you can try to force feed her, but she can aspirated (inhale the contents) which may make this worse. It is possible this happened and is the source of the pneumonia.

Has Sweatpea been dewormed? Some intestinal parasites can migrate through the lungs and also cause respiratory problems. I would have her dewormed if you have that available to you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! I hope Sweatpea is doing ok.

I strive for 100% satisfaction. If you are not satisfied, please do not rate me until you are. I am here to answer any other questions for you. Please feel free to respond to my answer. I want to get Sweetpea feeling better.

Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
Experience: Works at a veterinary teaching hospital to bring you the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much!! I've never had a sick kid before, but from everything I'd read I figured it was 'shipper's disease' that turned into pneumonia. This is day 2 of giving her the tetracylcine, and her appetite is starting to return, her breathing has slowed down a little, and she seems to be doing much better! I did go get some injectable wormer, though, and will be giving it to the whole herd--all four of them. lol Thank you for confirming my suspicions and helping me have the confidence to treat her at home. I'm on a very limited income, and it helps to have this knowledge. ;) Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Sweetpea