Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Dog has been coughting and trying to regirutake lke he has

Dog has been coughting and trying to regirutake lke he has something stuck
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Has she been coughing for a while?
4- Has she been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel or groomer for the last week or so?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1-Approximately a1day and a half
2- I believe she has allergies and she has a golf ball size n

knot on the right side of her abodmen.

3-about 28hrs

5-pale pink

1- How long has she had the knot in her abdomen? Is this like a growth or a hair knot?
2- Where was she around unfamiliar dogs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Knot like a growth and she had the knot since she was born, but it has grown over the years. I noticed it starting to increase in size about 5 years ago.

She was over my sisters house about a week ago and she has 3 smalls dogs.

Leslie, the growth has nothing to do with the cough. Most likely, the cough you are describing is caused by a common respiratory infection called "Kennel Cough." This is caused by viruses and bacterias, very similar to a cold in a human. Given her age it is also important to rule out an underlying heart disease.
In this case, I would recommend you have her checked by your family veterinarian. She may need oral antibiotics. In addition, important to make sure this is not a problem related to her heart by having your vet listen to her heart. In the meantime, you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any human pharmacy.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Hi Leslie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter