Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Have an approximate 6 mo old kitten. She appeared as a stray

Have an approximate 6 mo old kitten. She appeared as a stray in early March. Although she appeared very young, she was thin and starving, so may have been stunted, as she went into heat a couple of weeks after she arrived. On 4/16 we had her altered and vetted, including wormed and vaccinated. She's been fearless, super-affectionate and an absolute pig for food until mid-day yesterday, when she just appears to have "freaked out". She won't eat, won't really play, flinches at the slightest noise. Doesn't want to get on the floor and keeps going to the edge of whatever she is on and looking like something is going to eat her down below. When I have put her on the floor with me, she looks under furniture like something terrifying is under it. I went around the house to see if maybe a snake or something had gotten in and taken refuge, but can't find anything yet. This literally started mid-day yesterday. Morning she was fine. At noon I went out to give more hay to the horses and when I came back in the house, she was running around terrified, jumped up on the stove and doesn't want to touch the floor. I'll be making her an appt. with the vet, but wondered if you have any ideas in the meantime?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Shadow's condition. Kittens are very sensitive and are frightened easily....I am afraid that something frightened her so bad that she is not able to feel normal until she can get over this.

The best thing to do now is to purchase Feliway at the pet store and Rescue Remedy. These are natural anti anxiety medications that will help Shadow past this. You may never know what has caused this but using these products as well as talking to her in a soft voice, continuing to coax her to eat and being very patient will get her over this.

If this does not help, your vet will have stronger anti anxiety medications to get Shadow past this.

This LINK will have other tips to help Shadow past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I had researched Feliway and thought I would try that. One other thing I did not mention previously, I have not noticed her defecating in the last couple of days, but she has urinated. Could it be possible that maybe something is bothering her intestinal tract and causing her discomfort and maybe it just hit her suddenly and she is associating it with the floor because that's where she was when it occurred?

That is certainly possible, Rhonda...

To be sure , give her a dose of Laxatone or Petromalt that you can purchase at the pet store. Do this every 4 hrs by placing a dab on her nose so she will lick it off.....this will make sure that this will be resolved.

Good Luck, Rhonda!!

Thank you so much, Rhonda for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Shadow's odd condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!