Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My daughter is at home and just phoned me in a panic. My dog

My daughter is at home and just phoned me in a panic. My dog a Chocolate Lab (3 years old) was in the garden shaking and foaming at the mouth. It seems to have passed and she's walking around and taken a long drink. Gums (I'm told) are normal colour. I wondered if these symptoms could be down to trying to eat grass and eating some stinging nettles?

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Usually these symptoms in the garden are caused by licking something such as a cleaning agent, bleach or insecticide. The best treatment is to wash out her mouth 2-3 times with fresh water and then watch her for any other signs. If this has passed, then she may have a mild digestive disturbance from this so have your daughter only feed her a small amount of rice and chicken and give her Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs for a day or 2 to be sure she is doing well.

If she starts vomiting, then have your daughter take her to your vet to be sure we have not missed something.

In most cases, this localized irritation causing the excessive salivation and shaking will pass as long as you can get it all washed from her mouth.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

don't use any insecticides/chemicals, bleach and the like aren't in the garden but it is hot today and I don't know how long she was outside. Grass has got really long and there are some stinging nettles out there and my daughter said she was trying to eat grass earlier.

They can have a reaction to the stinging nettles for sure. For this , washing out her mouth will help get her past this. If this is the case, benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs will help her past this also.

Your daughter can give this along with the Pepcid AC in case she has a digestive disturbance secondary to this reaction.

let me know how she is doing in an hour or so and I may be able to direct your daughter from there....

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about your girl's condition. I am happy to help if anything changes. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. L, She seems to be fine no further problems kept her in for a couple of days but she's a typical Labrador nothing puts her off her food! Thanks for the follow up :o)

That is great news! I am so glad that your gal is doing well.

have a great day!!