Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My doxie has been shaking like she is cold i took her to vet the did xtra nothing showing

My doxie has been shaking like she is cold i took her to vet the did xtra nothing showing up
Put her on pepcid and predisine along with tramadol for pain
She is 6 still shaking eating grat and drinking what could be wrong or what should I do
This is the best website!!!
Thank you
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry for the long wait.

In a middle aged dachshund, the main thing I'd worry about is back pain from a disc herniation. This is very common in the breed and many times the only clinical signs they present with are trembling or vocalizing or just not quite acting like themselves.

We can often elicit pain when we palpate the back- pressing down on each vertebral segment until we get to the thoraco-lumbar area at the back of the ribcage. This is where they are usually painful. Some dogs never show signs of pain as they can be quite stoic.

Treatment is typically with a pain medication and an anti-inflammatory med. It sounds like they are covering their bases there with Pred and Tramadol. The Pepcid is to help protect the stomach while on Pred.

The other big thing I make sure owners do, is crate confine the dog at home. I would keep her very quiet for a good 1-2 weeks. They are usually acting much better within 3-5 days and then they are completely back to normal within 7-14 days. After that 1-2 weeks, I would go ahead and resume normal activity.

The trembling doesn't usually resolve right away, so I'd be patient and give this a bit more time. I'd also make sure you're confining her and not letting her run, jump or play at all.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long should she be on meds?
I would use the meds for 5-7 days.