Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My guinea pig is dragging his left paw. What could be wron

My guinea pig is dragging his left paw. What could be wrong?

Rebeccavet :

HelloCustomer

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for your question about Sam.

Rebeccavet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

How old is Sam?

Rebeccavet :

What is he eating lately? Guinea pig pellets? Any fresh fruits or vegetables? Hay?

Rebeccavet :

I am not seeing responses from you. Sometimes chat does not work for everyone, depending on what device you are using.

Rebeccavet :

I will try another way to connect, if I do not hear from you soon.

Hi again,
One of the most common reason for lameness in a Guinea Pig is vitamin C deficiency, or scurvy. Only human and Guinea pigs do not make vitamin C and have to get it in their diet. If Guinea pigs are on rabbit food ( that are not supplemented with C), or if the Guinea Pig food is old the vitamin C can be gone, or if they are not getting fresh fruits and vegetables, Guinea pigs can develop scurvy.

Other possibilities would be an injury, arthritis, or something in the spinal cord affecting the nerves to that leg ( if he is older, that would be more likely).

But doing a search of Guinea Pig lameness on a vet only website, vitamin C deficiency came up more often than anything else. Getting some fresh fruits and veggies, and giving 50 milligrams of vitamin C daily may help.

If it is injury, or arthritis, there is a medication called Metacam ( meloxicam, a prescription medication) that is safe in Guinea pigs.

Please let me know what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think he is about 8 or 9 months old. He hasn't had much other than grass and a harvest mixture from the store. He has had some banana too. Where can I get vitamin c for him ?

He should be getting Guinea Pig pellets. You can find vitamin C at drug stores or pet stores.

Bananas, although healthy, are not rich in vitamin C. Dark leafy greens, and bell peppers are a god source of vitamin C that they will eat.

Hello again,
How is Sam doing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is still dragging his left leg but he has appetite and is eating. He has had parsley and bell peppers and bananas and grapes since I asked for help
If it is vitamin C deficiency, it could take a couple of weeks. Good to hear he is eating well and getting things rich in vitamin C.

He could have an injury, or something else in that leg. If the vitamin C does not get him better, an exam by a vet familiar with these little guys to see if there is an injury would be a good idea. The Metacam I mentioned before could be helpful.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer. Kindly rate my answer, but only when all your questions have been answered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can't get the Metacam without a RX.
Yes, that is true. He would have to see a veterinarian to get a prescription. But if the vitamin C does not get his lameness resolved, that is what I would try next. There are no safe over the counter pain relievers that would be safe for him.

Thank you for the good rating!