Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have an 11 week old French Bulldog puppy. Everytime she drinks

I have an 11 week old French Bulldog puppy. Everytime she drinks water, she throws it back up. I wasn't sure if she was drinking too much too fast, and I am concerned about her getting enough water. I have started putting water in her food( almost like cereal) when I feed her. When I do that she keeps it down 98% of the time. Any other time I give her water, I'm only giving her maybe an 1/8c of water, waiting 30 minutes then giving her another very small amount. That doesn'ta;ways work. I don't feel like she is dehydrated, because she still has so much energy..

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about your puppy. I'm sorry I missed your request initially.

I do need to ask a few questions about her.

Is she actively retching with abdominal contractions when she brings the water back up?

Or does the water just seem to flow back out passively?

Does she ever vomit food? If so is it canned food or dry food?

If so is it an active process or does the food just flow back out passively?

Is she growing well?

Thanks for your patience with my questions. I'll have an answer for you once I read your responses.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I would call it abdominal retractions to where it stops her for a couple of minutes. It reminds me of a baby who simply spits up. She will throw up, and go right back to playing. When she vomits food, it is only as result of drinking water. I never worry about her keeping down a bowl of food when I feed her. If she throws up after she drinks water, sometimes there will be a couple of pieces of food but nothing major. She went through a little episode where she wouldn't eather food, but as soon as I switched her food, she ate no problem. She eats about 3/4-1 1/4 cups of food a day.

Thanks very much for the answers to my questions, they are helpful.

It sounds as if her "vomiting" is a fairly passive process, with not much retching. She may actually be regurgitating.

Regurgitation is a pretty passive process. Whatever they bring up just sort of flows out without much, if any, effort, and the dog just seems to go about their business.

Regurgitation can be secondary to a poorly functioning esophagus. It can be due to poorly functioning esophageal muscles, a weak gastro-esophageal sphincter (the muscular valve between the stomach and esophagus) or a dilated pouch-like esophagus due to a disease called megaesophagus. In some cases this can be due to a hiatal hernia as well or a condition where the stomach everts itself up into the esophagus. In Some snub nosed breeds rather then a straight tube the esophagus has bends and pouches where liquids can get caught. Some of these dogs will outgrow this, they grow into their esophagus.

I would discuss her symptoms with her veterinarian. We can evaluate her esophagus with a simple test called a barium swallow. This test involves giving her barium to swallow and then taking a series of radiographs to evaluate it's shape and function.

Treatment will depend upon what is diagnosed and can be as simple as giving her time to grow, acid reducers, medications to improve esophageal function, or changing the consistency of her food or surgery.

In the meantime continue adding a little water to her food, giving her very small amounts of water at a time or trying ice cubes so she cannot drink too much. It may help as well to keep her upright (front feet up on a bench) after she drinks for a good 10 to 20 minutes.

You can also try acid reducers which will help if this is related to gastroesophageal reflux

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

Best of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.