Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I am petsitting a 11 month old american bull/pit mix and he

Customer Question

I am petsitting a 11 month old american bull/pit mix and he his drool and has swelling around the rightside bottom part of his mouth. He is not acting like himself and he will not let me look inside to see if it his a tooth problem or maybe an insect bite.
What can i do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sammie today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to assist you better, if you don't mind.

Can you tell me for how long this has been going on? Did it appear suddenly?

Is he still able to eat and drink? Move his tongue about?

Can you check the color of his gums and verify that they are nice and pink and that the color comes back quickly when you press on them?

Is he breathing ok?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed the drooling last night and the swelling this morning. It did appear to come on suddenly. He did eat this morning and was licking himself this morning but now he just moves slow and lays down not wanting to be bothered. the area where the swelling is at the gums area is not pink and very tender to touch. i am unable to get to the teeth part for fear he might bite because he looks like it is very painful. No difficulty noticed with his breathing. Right now he is keeping his mouth shut so s hard to tell if he can move his tongue because he has stop doing anything, just wants to lay down and sleep

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply.

It does not sound like a typical allergic reaction, especially if the swelling is at the gum line. It sounds more as if it is a dental or oral trauma problem. I would definitely advise you to have it checked by a veterinarian soon, if his owner is not going to be home.

There are really not a lot of safe or effective alternatives for pain control that are available over the counter, so I would not recommend that you offer any sort of medication. You can however monitor his eating and if he is not eating well, switch him to a softer food choice until the problem is identified and corrected. If he will let you, you can apply a cold pack to the swollen area of the gum but I do not know many dogs who will allow that to occur for too long.

If his eating is not affected and if his owner is coming home soon, you could continue to monitor him to see how things progress. There would be nothing harmful in offering a dose of antihistamine in case the swelling was allergy related, but it doesn't sound like it is.

You can give a dose of non-prescription Benadryl until you could get him in to the vet clinic. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can dogs get an abcess

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they can get an abscess, but it would not be that common in a dog that young.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. I truly appreciate it!

Good luck with Sammie. Please keep me posted as to how thing progress.