Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas
49838867

My dog got bit on his hind foot by a coyote 5 days ago. I took

My dog got bit on his hind foot by a coyote 5 days ago. I took him to the vet the next day and he was put on antibiotics. The vet said he didn't think there were any fractures as my dog didn't react to his foot being examined and his flexion and extension was good. He has 2 small puncture wounds in one toe and there is still a bit of swelling. He's not putting any weight on his foot and I just wondered if I should take him back to the vet. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but I am concerned that he won't walk on his foot at all.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Jack's foot and his not bearing any weight on it.

I agree that there should be concern because he still isn't bearing any weight on his foot. By now with antibiotic therapy I would expect him to be healing and at least trying to bear some weight on it.

Was he bearing weight on it initially and then stopped or has he been off that foot since the bite?

Do you think his toe is more or less swollen then it was initially?

Is he reacting painfully to you manipulating his toe now?

Were any radiographs of his foot taken?

Have you been enforcing strict rest so he doesn't overdo on that foot?

It is possible that he had so much adrenalin from the attack that initially he didn't react to manipulation, and if there wasn't much displacement a fracture could have been hard to diagnose initially. But because he's still not bearing weight on his foot I do believe another examination is needed and probably radiographs should be taken

It is also possible that he has sustained tendon or ligament damage that was initially a partial tear and is now a complete one making the foot feel unstable. Radiographs won't show soft tissue injuries like tendons or ligaments, but if his conformation is abnormal on radiographs and/or his flexion and extension aren't right that will help diagnose that.

I don't think that you have to rush him into emergency but keep him confined and have him checked early this week.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He was weight bearing on it initially. We had to walk about 2 kilometers back to the house and by then he was completely off of it.

It is less swollen now. But the affected toe is still swollen and seems to stick out above the others.

He doesn't really want me to touch it but he doesn't whine if I move his toes.

No x-rays were taken.

I have let him run around a bit in the yard.

I will book him another appointment this week. If it is a soft tissue injury do dogs usually recover from those? We are very active and I don't want him to be crippled because of one toe!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for the reply.

It makes sense that if he did have a minor crack or fracture the walk home could have displaced things enough to make him non-weight bearing.

Most dogs do recover from fractures and soft tissue injuries if they are properly repaired and they are rested long enough. I don't think one toe will hinder his activity level in the long run.

Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience treating cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, mice, and iguanas
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We took him back to the vet today and had x-rays done. He does have a broken toe but they think it will heal up alright. He's got it wrapped with a splint inside I think. Anyway, they said he will be alright so I am happy :) Thank you for your advice!

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update on your fellow. I'm glad to hear that he had radiographs taken and you now have a diagnosis so that he can be splinted and is on his way to recovering. While uncomfortable, a broken toe should not interfere with his long term ability to be active and enjoy life. Just don't let him get too active too soon, that tends to be the biggest problem with healing. Thanks again for letting me know, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions in the future, Dr. Kara.