Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

is it true that puppies carry rabies and hence their bites

Customer Question

is it true that puppies carry rabies and hence their bites and scratches, accidental or not, are more dangerous?
Submitted: 3 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about puppies having Rabies.

It is absolutely not true that puppies carry Rabies.

Rabies is a fatal neurologic viral disease. It is passed from an infected animal via their saliva injected into a bite. If all puppies had Rabies they would die.

Puppies by design have very sharp needle teeth. That is really their only protection. So while their bites hurt, they do not have Rabies unless they were bitten by an infected animal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry to see that you were unhappy with my accurate response.

Did you accidently hit the wrong rating?

If you aren't willing to pay for my answer to your question then I'd prefer that you not rate my answer at all. A rating of poor service reflects poorly upon my work and I know that the information I gave you is accurate. If you have further questions please feel free to ask, but please do not rate me poorly.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara