Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My golden retriever is getting constant ear infections. He

Customer Question

My golden retriever is getting constant ear infections. He was just treated for one 4 weeks ago and now has another. The vet said it could be allergies. Is there anyway to stop or treat the infections without meds? We just started him on nuvet supplements hoping to cut down on the vet visits. Does yogurt help? I heard that could help with yeast infections.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Often, these ear infections become chronic because the scar tissue caused by the infection allows the bacteria more places to hide. It also is associated with a suppressed immune system. For this reason, I recommend PetAlive C Caps which is a holistic immune stimulant to help the body fight this off. LINK

Preventative maintenance is also recommended which can be an ear cleaner such as Epiotic from your vet or Swimmer's Ear available at the pharmacy over the counter that is applied every 3-4 days. This dries out the ear so the bacteria and yeasts cannot grow. This can be very effective against ear infections.

Yogurt has been known to help with yeast infections but most ear infections are a combination of yeasts and bacteria and will not help in Max's situation.

Allergies are a possibility that cause the infection to start by the scratching and will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs.

Try these on Max to see if this will help him past this very difficult condition.

This LINK may help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to know if the infection is bacterial? We do clean his ears but we probably could be more consistent with it. The vet told us to wait 10 days after using the spray in his ears before we cleaned them.I know I waited too long because he started getting eye"boogers" (sorry I lack a better description). When he gets those daily, there is usually a lot of buildup off a black substance in his ear.

These infections are usually a combination of bacteria and yeast which is why the ear ointment that we prescribe is a combination of an anti fungal (yeast), anti bacterial and a steroid to decrease the inflammation causing Max so much discomfort. The SWimmer Ear will dry out this area so no organism, yeast or bacterial, can grow there.

Does that make more sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that makes sense. Hopefully my last question...because he has an ear infection now can I just do the things you recommended or do we need to take him to the vet for treatment of the ear infection or can I treat it without meds?

Often, the SWimmer's Ear is enough to stop this. Apply a few drops of this to each ear, massage this down and then use a kleenex to wipe out the excess. This will bring the wax and debris to the surface so it can be removed. This can be curative and you will know by Monday if this will be effective or if you will need to see your vet.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You are very welcome!! I hope max feels better soon!!

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Max's ear condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!