Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My Mothers cat Ginger is currently on Clavulox Palatable

Customer Question

My Mother's cat 'Ginger' is currently on Clavulox Palatable Drops
Labelled strength: 50mg per 1mL Amoxycillin + 12.5mg per 1mL Clavulanic Acid
(= OR 250mg Amoxycillin per 5mLs + 62.5mg Clavulanic Acid per 5mLs)

NB: Ginger weighs 3.4kg & the recommended dose for his weight = 0.68mLs (however Vet has prescribed DOUBLE this dose = 1.36mLs (which is too much liquid for him to easily accept twice daily at present).

Q: Would a more concentrated dosed (human targeted) Amoxycillin + Clavulanic Acid be ok to give Ginger?
eg: such as Augmentin Duo Syrup which comes in the following strength
400mg Amoxycillin + 57mg Clavulanic Acid (weaker Clav Acid?)

Q: Unsure if the 57mg Vs 62.5mg weaker dose of Clavulanic Acid would make a difference, especially considering the new volume / quantity of liquid would need to be reduced (presumably to 0.85mLs instead of 1.36mLs of Clavulox)
(worked out as follows: 250 divided by 400mg = 0.625 x 1.36mLs = 0.85mLs)

Q: Would 0.85mLs of Augmentin be correct dose for 3.4Kg cat who's been prescribed double dose of Clavulox for big infection of gums/chin?

Q: If Augmentin Duo syrup 400/57 per 5mLs not suitable, could you suggest a better suited LIQUID antibiotic that is stronger than the Clavulox drops 250/62.5 per 5mLs we have?

Thanks very much! Warm regards Linda.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Linda and thanks for trusting me to help you and Ginger today. I am sorry you have had to wait for a expert to reply to you. I just logged on and saw your post.I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Please give me a few minutes to re-read your questions and type a thorough response and then you can reply further if you still have questions.

Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doc

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
In answer to your post, Clavulox is usually dosed at 10-22 mg/kg and it is based on the Amoxicillin component. So, for a cat weighing 3.4 kg that would equal 34-75 mg which would be approximately 0.68 to 1.5 ml twice a day of the liquid suspension that you have. The dosage is usually based on what is being treated, but I would tend to go on the higher end as your vet has chosen to recommend. The problem with Clavulox is that it gives many cats diarrhea or vomiting as a side effect, especially after it is used for a few days. As you can see, it is also harder to give a larger volume of liquid to a cat. (I personally think anything over 0.2 to 0.4 ml is hard to give a cat, especially after they catch on.)

There would be absolutely no problem with giving a more concentrated suspension so that less volume can be given. The Augmentin Duo would be fine to give and at 400 mg of amoxicillin per 5 ml, that equals 80 mg/ml. So based on that, I would give approximately .6 to .9 ml twice day. The lower clavulanic acid component should not have a big effect in most cases. There are some vets however who feel that the veterinary formula (with the higher clavulanic acid works better). I think it would be worth trying and monitoring response to treatment. If not getting a good response, you could ask your vet to prescribe the antibiotic called cephalexin which also is available as a liquid. In my hands, skin infections tend to respond better to this and we see less diarrhea.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much Doc, I really appreciate your thorough response!!! Some positive feedback is coming your way. :-))

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I hope Ginger is better soon!

Is Ginger really a ginger colored cat? They are my favorite!
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He sure is Ginger! ...and thanks to your reassuring advise, I had the courage to contact the prescribing Vet & ask for a script for Augmentin (which he was happy to do), which will make Ginger's life a lot easier with the volume of meds required + lighten the already heavy burden on my Mother's wallet (which was overstretched on an aged pension through Vet bills as it was). Thanks again!!!

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Great!

If you do note diarrhea, you can consider adding some probiotics to help. I like the Purina brand called Fortiflora LINK HERE but I am not sure of it's availability in Australia. If not available there, I am sure they can recommend something similar.