Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..
Being that his eyes aren
aren't moving, no nystagmus, no vomiting or diarrhea to day correct/
Is there anything around the house he could have ingested - mushrooms, mold, compost, marijuana ? ( Marijuana I ask becasue working in a state where medical marijuana cards are legal we see a lot )
Are they bigger dogs? Sometimes the smaller ones can react more.. It sounds like a toxicity to me ( something he found/ingested) . When he sits still is there any muscle tremors noted ?
right now is our mushroom season - that is why I wanted to check
To be safest - I would have to recommend an exam tonight - some mushrooms and molds can be toxic to the liver - Now a mjority do very well with just IV fluids and time to pass the toxin in their urine - but Because there is a risk for liver involvement I always recommend a veisit sooner rather than later.
yes I feel like he is likely dysphoric/ hallucinating - obviously I can not be in front of him to see the behavior..
Is he hypersensitive /jerky if you quickly open your hand/fingers at him while he sits still?
Ok good. then hallucinations not likely - any possible exposure to antifreeze ?
No I don't expect it is the rib - unless it was old and moldy ?
Anti-freeze is the most deadly item I could think of.. The others can affect liver - Liver though can heal with time. Enough inhaled toxins can cause a high - but he would have been int he enclosed area for awhile, but then usually with time in room air/clean air - they come back to their normal selves and signs do no tcontinue.
I understand financial concerns - it is a large part of the job - You can continue to keep an eye on him if things worsen definitely take him in / and you can investigate Carecredit.com as one payment option. If signs do not worsen - i owuld expect them to be at their peak within 12 hours or less and hopefully doing better and better by morning.
Keep an eye out for vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory changes/difficulties/coughing
KIeep an eye on mental status make sure you can arouse him and get him up for walks outside.. Water is ok - as much as he wants, minimal food for next 6 hours.
That is correct.. I am happy to help and will send a follow-up note tomorrow after you rate..You can come back after that and talk to me about the same issues if any other concerns at no charge.
I am an independent veterinarian working for the site and have no control over pricing.. I work in Oregon as an ER vet and a day vet..
Happy to help.. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you have concerns or are not satisfied by my answer.. If no further questions please Rate and Accept my answer.. That and positive feedback are the only way I receive credit for my time.. Take care and good luck. Dr. Chad
Good! He's fine :) I just wanted to know what the possibilites were so I didn't toss and turn and worry about waking up to a dead pup in the morning ...:-/
He threw up that night later on but then was fine and still is. Thank You!
Are you in Broomfield, CO?