Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine

Hello, I changed my cats diet from dry food to canned food.

Hello, I changed my cats diet from dry food to canned food. They are now all three very constipated. I have been giving them Laxatone and mineral oil a couple of times a day for the last couple of days with little results for one cat and no results for the other two. I am also letting them have a bit of the dry food. Two are Siamese and very picky eaters. This has gone on for over a week and I am quite worried. Any recommendations?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Can you tell me what signs you're seeing to indicate constipation? Are they in the litter box straining? Are they getting any stools out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There have not been any stools in the litter box for over a week except for a very small amount yesterday and this morning. I assume it was only produced by one of the three based on the amount. The three of them are typically very regular and I clean the boxes a couple of times a day. I have not seen any of them in the litter box straining.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Ok. This is an interesting situation. The reason I say this is that this may or may not be a constipation issue. They may not be eating the new food as well and if this is the case, less food in equals less stools out. Also possibly playing a factor here is that the new food may be a better quality and it is more digestible. Some foods have more fiber / non-digestible material in it that gets defecated out. If the food is being digested better, then less stools are made. In a situation like this, it is good that no one is in the litter box straining to go. The laxatone is a very good thing to be giving at home to help keep the stools soft. Another simple thing to add to the diet is a 1/4 teaspoon of miralax to the food once a day as this will help to soften stools. My gut feeling here is that they're not constipated but eating less and it being more digestible thus leading to less stools being made. Could they be going someplace else? I always have owners look around to make sure this isn't going on. If they totally stop eating, get dumpy, or start to strain to go / vomit - then they should be seen by your vet to get them checked over. I would hope that they are otherwise acting normal and with time, they'll get to a more routine pattern.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?