Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.

Our golden retriever - 2 years old is not passing urine. He

Customer Question

Our golden retriever - 2 years old is not passing urine. He is spotting blood. Gone to the doctor and given enrotril injection, meloxicalm injection last Thursday evening. Yesterday evening and today given enrofloxacin tablet. He stopped eating from yesterday. Still not passing urine. Have we given the correct medicine ? Should we take a second opinion ? He is weak as no food for 2 todays.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hello JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry, and worried, to hear about Roger Junior.

Rebeccavet :

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebeccavet :

Was a urinalysis done to see if he has crystals in his urine?

Rebeccavet :

Was an Xray taken to see if he has a blockage?

Customer:

No. not yet.

Customer:

No X ray done

Rebeccavet :

If he has a blockage and cannot empty his bladder, he need emergency care.

Customer:

Only medicine was given

Customer:

You mean an operation ?

Rebeccavet :

The first thing I would do, if I could, is feel his abdomen to see if there is an enlarged bladder. If there is, I would try to pass a catheter to empty it.

Rebeccavet :

If I could not get a catheter to pass, he might need surgery, yes.

Rebeccavet :

But if I did not feel an enlarged bladder, he may just need fluids, and different medication. I would get some urine from his bladder, and examining the urine should tell me what is wrong.

Customer:

The doctor examined him but did not say we should get an x ray

Customer:

She said the med will flush out and he will start passing urine

Rebeccavet :

Sometimes problems like this are just infections, and get better with antibiotics. Since he is not getting better with antibiotics, then he should get checked again.

Customer:

so far now two day he is not passing

Customer:

Should we take to another doctor ?

Rebeccavet :

If this were my dog, I would be feeling his abdomen, and doing a urinalysis. I would either go back to your first doctor, or get a second opinion.

Rebeccavet :

Normally a dog with just a bladder infection does not stop eating.

Customer:

He is normally very healthy and this is the first time he has stopped eating.

Customer:

We will take him to a another vet now.

Rebeccavet :

That sounds like a good plan.

Customer:

Do you think he has a stone ?

Rebeccavet :

I am worried by what you are saying. A stone is one possibility, yes.

Customer:

Is the medicine given for a urine infection ?

Rebeccavet :

But he may just need fluids and different medication, or if there is a stone it might pass without surgery.

Customer:

Only ?

Rebeccavet :

The medicine you have is for infection ( antibiotic) and inflammation (meloxicam).

Rebeccavet :

But not all infections respond to all antibiotics. He may still just have an infection, but needs a different antibiotics.

Rebeccavet :

If he has a stone, it might be able to be treated with medicine and fluids. But some stones do have to be surgically removed.

Customer:

Oh I see. Appreciate your help. We will take him now. Many thanks

Rebeccavet :

You are welcome.

Rebeccavet :

Kindly rate my answer when we are finished, but only when all your questions are answered. Good luck with him. I will check in to see how he is doing.

Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Shiro,
Please let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Shiro,
How is Roger Junior doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rebecca,
We took your advice and referred Roger to another vet. She is quite good. She felt Roger and immediately said that the bladder is full and many tests need to be done. She also said before giving antibiotics the previous vet should have done a urine analysis just like you said. After many tests Roger underwent surgery last Monday for stones in the urinary track. The stones were not in his bladder but gone down. Roger was in the veterinary for a few days and came home yesterday. Thank God he is OK. Your expert comments were very useful. Still Roger is under a special kind of dog food and under medication. He looks well and eats and passes urine. Samples have gone for further analysis. We will get to know the results later. Thank you once again.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Shiro,
You are welcome. I am glad to hear he is doing better. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took your advice and referred Roger to another vet. She
is quite good. She felt Roger and immediately said that the bladder is full and
many tests need to be done. She also said before giving antibiotics the
previous vet should have done a urine analysis just like you said. After many
tests Roger underwent surgery last Monday for stones in the urinary track. The stones
were not in his bladder but gone down. Roger was in the veterinary for a few
days and came home yesterday. Thank God he is OK. Your expert comments were
very useful. Still Roger is under a special kind of dog food and under
medication. He looks well and eats and passes urine. Samples have gone for
further analysis. We will get to know the results later. Thank you once again.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you have any more questions, let me know.