Dr. Larson
Dr. Larson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Active in private practice since 2000. Both large and small animal practice for throughout career.
22517207

my tibitian spanial just ate a wasp that I sprayed with wasp

my tibitian spanial just ate a wasp that I sprayed with wasp poison 5 days ago; I thought they were all picked up but she found one; What should I do?

Dr. Larson :

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. I certainly understand your concern for Holly, but there is really no need to worry. The amount of petroleum distillates that it takes to kill a wasp is low, and will have dissipated a bit over the following 5 days.

Dr. Larson :

It is very unlikely that there would be enough of the spray still present to cause her any severe problems.

Customer:

Could there not likely be any poison left on the wasp at this time? She only weighs 16 lbs!

Dr. Larson :

There is not likely enough poison to cause Holly any harm. I certainly understand your concern. It is possible to see a bit of upset stomach as a result of simply ingesting the wasp, about the only thing you could do is to give her a teaspoon of Pepto Bismol to help prevent the upset stomach, but you do not need to fear her being poisoned.