Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I think my dog ate something yesterday while hiking and he

I think my dog ate something yesterday while hiking and he has been coughing and trying to throw up since then, not continuously but every now and then. Do I need to take him in to the vet? or can I help him to throw up at home. He also is eating and drinking water fine.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is he hacking as if something was stuck in the throat?
2- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs in the last week or so?
3- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Peter,

1-yes he is hacking a little. I did do a finger sweep to see if there was something obviously stuck up high and he did throw up yesterday one time. He slept ok in the night but today is still occasionally hacking

2- yes the hike yesterday is in an off leash area with lots of dogs

3- he is a poodle mix weighs about 11 pounds

Is it fair to say that he vomited secondary to the forceful hacking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose - I was expecting he would feel better after getting it up - it looked like his kibble plus some dried leaves from the hike but he has continued with hacking but not forceful...

Sara, what you are describing is consistent with a common upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." The hacking is secondary to the inflammation in the upper respiratory tract; the vomiting is secondary to the forceful hacking. I would have him checked by family veterinarian, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on 1/2 teaspoon of Robitussin DM (cough), you can find robitussin over the counter in any human pharmacy.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter