Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat came home limping last night and unfortunately all of

My cat came home limping last night and unfortunately all of the veterinary practices are closed today due to the Bank Holiday. I am just concerned that it could be a cat bite and if left until tomorrow infection could have settled in. I have some Noroclav 50mg tablets in the house from a previous cat bite he sustained and I was wondering if it would be suitable for me to start treating him with these before we can take him to the vet in the morning. He weighs a little over 5kg so I was thinking of giving him a half tablet now and half at bedtime but I just wanted to check with a vet before administering any medication.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Have you checked the limb for any bite wounds or punctures?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has a slight lump up near the dew claw of the affected leg but he won't let me have a proper look at it. He has been bitten by my neighbour's cat a few times before and each time he has developed an infection very quickly

Jessica, it is very possible the lump could be an abscess. In response to your question, yes, you can start him on the novoclav 50mg 1 tablet every 12 hours for 7-10 days instead of 1/2 a tablet. Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter