Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my 10 week old Gordon Setter has almost certainly got Junior

Customer Question

my 10 week old Gordon Setter has almost certainly got Junior Pyoderma on both eyelids and botXXXXX XXXXXds - what is the best course of action - I have been to the vets 5 times and they are still debating whether it is pyoderma, although a vet who has seen photos of her eyessays that without seeing her he is 98% certain that it is pyoderma.
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome,

My name is XXXXX, X am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. Though sometimes dramatic looking juvenile pyoderma is usually a self curing disease, it will normally resolve whatever you do given a few weeks. With severe cases though permanent scarring is possible.

2. This disease is best treated with antibiotics both orally or by injection and antibiotic ointments. Thus will help resolve the situation sooner, these pups are usually fairly bright during the course of the disease.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The vet that had a look at photos of Mabel's eyes said that if it was pyoderma she needs steroids. Three doses over 3 days, then weaned

off them, would that be your opinion too. I want to get all my facts

sorted before I go to the vets again on Tuesday. Mabel is very fed up with herself today, not eating and not playing, her eyes look dreadful.

But the vet who spoke to Mabel's breeder said that really it wasn't as

bad as it can be.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further,

Yes, some vets do use steroids and they may help, but there is no one particular cure for this disease just support and controlling secondary infections with the antibiotics while the disease runs it's course.

Where there is marked swelling then a short course of steroids may help and may be worth a try, a short course such as you describe would be very unlikely to do any harm in any case.

Regards,

Scott.