Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have got an 6 month old Jack Russel. and she started vomiting

I have got an 6 month old Jack Russel. and she started vomiting from Friday night. Today is Sunday not vomiting so much anymore, but is still.
she doesn't want to eat or drink. and if she does, then a couple of hours later she vomits again. she try's to eat grass all the time as well, witch we all know will make her vomit, but then she eats it back up again, and I am not to sure if that is was she is suppose to do.
Regards
Mrs Brooks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If your pup has been vomiting intermittently since Friday and has enough nausea that she is still eating grass and not keen to eat/drink then we do have to be concerned that her signs are the result of something more sinister then a wee dietary indiscretion (eating something she should not have --like human food, trash, etc). Rather we do have to be concerned that she could have ingested something non-edible that is now a stomach or GI foreign body that may be stuck, that she is having trouble with GI parasites (ie worms but also protozoa like Giardia and Coccidia), toxins/chemicals, or has caught a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis. So, there is quite a bit to consider for causing her signs but I would say that if you think she has eaten something non-edible (like a toy, rock, rubber band, etc) or has gotten into something toxic these will be emergency situations that need addressing sooner rather then later.

Now since she is little and not drinking, we do have to be very vigilant with her. Puppies who cannot keep water down can easily become dehydration and this will make her feel even more poorly. And if left to linger, could lead to needing hospitalization for IV fluids. Therefore, I would advise trying the support I will not outline but if she still will not drink or cannot keep water down then it will be imperative that you have a vet see her and at least give her an injectable anti-vomiting/nausea medication to settle her stomach
so that you can provide supportive care and prevent dehydration.

To address nausea for her at home, there are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are Pepcid (LINK), Omeprazole (More Info/Dose), or Zantac (LINK). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.

If you give this and her vomiting appears settled, then I would advise giving her a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken with rice, boiled white fish and pasta scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese with rice. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity).

You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you are concerned that she is become dehydrated already, then you do want to check her hydration. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If she is already showing signs of dehydration, then we’d want to have her seen urgently since this often requires more then just home treatment to get them back on track.

If after resting her stomach, the vomiting has settled, you may be able to offer or even syringe feed her pedialyte or pediatric rehydration solution. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per day. This value will give you the total she needs for the day (though doesn’t take into account vomiting losses) and is a good starting point to give you an idea of her daily requirement. If she vomits when you have given pedialyte, I would discontinue this as a therapy. (since we don’t want her vomiting more because of our intervention). As well, if her vomiting hasn't settled, then syringing won't be an option without anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Overall, there are a range of potential causes for her vomiting and anorexia. Since she is so young (which much less body resources then an adult) it is important not to let this go on longer then need be. Therefore, do not let her eat the vomit she brings up and do try the above steps to settle her stomach. If you do so for the next 12-24 hours and she is still struggling (or your hydration check confirms dehydration already), then she will need to see her vet.

The vet can have a feel of her stomach and just confirm something is not stuck. As well, they can treat her with injectable antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomachs and help her get back to feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.