Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My Cat kiki has had abroken leg for 5 days my son picked him

My Cat kiki has had abroken leg for 5 days my son picked him up some yellow liquid came shooting out his leg he dose not look like he is in much pain what should I do

DrBruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Kiki.

DrBruce :

I'm sorry to hear that he is having this issue.

DrBruce :

Has there been an x-ray taken to confirm that the leg is broken? If there is yellow liquid coming out of the leg, then there is definitely an infection. That yellow liquid is probably pus.

Customer:

okay no there was not any x-ray taken but a little limp its getting better over the lasat few day from barely walking to running

DrBruce :

I would suspect that he probably has an abscess (pocket of infection) in the leg, and that the abscess has finally opened up and drained. That would be all the yellow liquid that came out when he was picked up.

DrBruce :

Is Kiki eating and drinking normally?

Customer:

yes

DrBruce :

OK. Great! It is unlikely that he has any broken bones. He would not be getting better over the course of a few days.

DrBruce :

Ideally, he should be seen by a vet, so that the abscess can be cleaned out, and he can be put on antibiotics.

Customer:

okay why do you think he was walking funny at first then

DrBruce :

Abscesses are very painful.

Customer:

okay I will take right away thank you

DrBruce :

You are very welcome. Most cats will heal very well from abscesses. I hope that Kiki is feeling better very soon!