Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

my 12yr. old dog...greman shepard.. is having diarrhea for

Customer Question

my 12yr. old dog...greman shepard.. is having diarrhea for the last 6 days with blood not each time..what to do??
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Rebeccavet :

Hello JACustomer,

Rebeccavet :

I am sorry to hear about Anoki.

Rebeccavet :

My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help you.

Rebeccavet :

Is he eating, and drinking? Any vomiting>

Rebeccavet :

Diarrhea can be caused by many things: parasites, infection, reaction to something that was eaten, and internal diseases.

Rebeccavet :

If the diarrhea irrritates the lining of the colon enough, the colon will bleed, and you see blood or blood clots in the diarrhea. SInce aspirin makes you bleed more, by reducing the ability to make blood clots, that might be contributing to the diarrhea. I would not give any more aspirin.

Rebeccavet :

I would try treating the diarrhea with Pepto Bismal, or Imodium instead.

Rebeccavet :

If it continues, or if he stops eating and starts to vomit, then he may need medical attention.

Rebeccavet :

SInce he is older, I would have him checked out if this continues for very long.

Rebeccavet :

I meant to say that the aspirin could be contributing to the colon' s bleeding.

Rebeccavet :

I am not seeing responses from you. I can try another way to connect with you.

Rebeccavet :

If you tell me his weight, I can give you a dose of Imodium.

Customer :

are you still there?

Customer :

hello?

Customer :

Im sorry i dont type very fast

Customer :

zrebecca are you there?

Customer :

I dont type very fast im sorry

Customer :

you left to quickly

Customer :

We are also gi

Customer :

ving him cosequinn ds

Customer :

what can i give him for pain if not aspirin?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Paul,
I hope you can see what I have said now.

I would continue the bland diet, switch to Imodium ( if he weighs 70 to 80 pounds, give 1 to 1 1/2 tablets of Imodium twice daily), and take a sample of the stool to be checked for parasites if this continues much longer.

Please let me know what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but everything you typed did not show up until I changed to this format. That sometimes happens with the chat.

You can give aspirin for pain, but not while he is having diarrhea.

There are good pain medications that do not cause bleeding, like tramadol and gabapentin, but they are by prescription.

Cosequin can give some dogs diarrhea.