Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

I have a 4 yr old floppy eared male rabbit that has been to

I have a 4 yr old floppy eared male rabbit that has been to the vet fora check up and is a very happy healthy and sociable bunny that is litter pan trained. He is normally a very clean rabbit. recently he has been very messy. When he hasw a bm it sticks to him and dries on his genitals. I clean him evey day and now he pully his hair out around his tail. What could be causing this. He eats Timothy Hay and rabbit pellets every day along with geen leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro, and carrots.

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

I am sorry Oreo is having this problem.

It is important to get this sorted out as the matted faeces will become attractive to flies which can lead to disastrous 'fly strike'.

It may well be Oreo is suffering from gut dysbiosis where the proportions of intestinal bacteria shift and aren't in the correct quantities to provide efficient digestion.

I would stop feeding the high water content foods such as lettuce and cilantro. Encourage the eating of hay to help bind up the faeces. Pellets foods are great and part of the daily ration, fruit and veg should be limited and hard low water content foods should be used.

You could also see if your vet has any probiotics especially designed for rabbits, Protexin are a big manufacturer of such powders and liquids and they can really help with these problems, have a look at there website www.protexin.com.

Good luck and I hope things settles quickly

Regards

Dr Dan Makin

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oreo. How is everything going?