Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 15 yeyear old Aussie mix seemed fine until a few hours ago

Customer Question

My 15 yeyear old Aussie mix seemed fine until a few hours ago when he woke up and started heaving and sounds like he has liquid in his chest. He also had a drop of blood coming out of one nostril. He ate some of his favorite treats and drank water and now he is sleeping but it looks like he will wake up again soon, heaving again. I know we will have to put him down soon, but am wondering if this is it or can a 15 year old dog come home from a vet visit with medication for this problem? It is very late and I am just watching him as he sleeps. I will probably take him to the vet in the morning-just scared to go. I don't know if I even have a question except what do I do? I guess late at night I am just hoping for some support. Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

The main worry here is the dry heaving. This is a sign that is very common with bloat in dogs. Bloat is where the stomach twists. They usually also have some abdominal distension and labored breathing. Sometimes all we'll see is the dry heaving.

If this is bloat, then he would need surgery to un-twist and tack the stomach. Without surgery, it is fatal within hours.

If this is just some nausea or GI upset leading to the signs, then he should be able to be treated medically and go home.

I would go in to an ER vet if you can. It's better to error on the side of caution with any signs of retching.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He sounds like he is gurgling with lots of liquid in his chest. Not really dry heaves. He is sleeping pretty soundly now. his stomached seems ok and he eats and drinks easily. Also, what could cause a drop of blood from his nose?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It may also be something like pneumonia and congestion in the lungs. If that is the case, we can see some nasal discharge that may be bloody. When we see a pink frothy fluid from the nose, we also have to consider heart disease and congestive heart failure.

Chest x-rays would be very helpful if you can get him in when your vet opens.