Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My hamster has developed two dark red circular patches on her

Customer Question

My hamster has developed two dark red circular patches on her skin one larger on her stomach and one smaller on her back, with hair loss and slightly raised skin. Do you know what it could be. I gave her baby tomatoes today three of them culd that have cuased it.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

We do not tend to feed tomatoes (the fruit or any part of the plant)to hamsters due to its high acidity. That said, it is less likely that the tomatoes are related to this exposure due to the varied locations of the lesions.

Do these patches look crusty or have scales?

Is the skin just red or ulcerated?

Any visible pustules or pimples?

Is Seshy itchy with them?

How is she otherwise? Eating, drinking, behaving as normal?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I email it to you. I got it on film by accident. it won't attach

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

I am afraid that the website blocks email addresses when posted. Still you can go HERE and pass the photo via email to the website moderators who will then send it on to me. It can take a wee bit in my experience but tends to be the only way to share photos when the ways I have noted above are not possible.

Look forward to hearing back from you,
Dr. B.