Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

my dog found a rat that had died of Tomcast Rat poison. She

Customer Question

my dog found a rat that had died of Tomcast Rat poison. She just was sniffing around it and pulled some hair off the rat when i stopped her. I don't believe she ingested very little of the rat if any. What should i do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

There is such a minute amount of poison in that rat that you do not need to be concerned. Especially if she did not consume the entire rat. But, even if she did consume the entire rat I would not be concerned. We see cats, who have eaten mice and rats who consumed the rat bait, and we do not see any problems even though cats are smaller than dogs.

I do not think you need to give any egg whites or charcoal. Just continue life, and feeding, as usual.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Thanks

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years working as a full time veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you that was very helpful. I was going to remove the traps but based on your reply it sounds as if we are ok with keeping them up since there is a minimal amount of risk. The traps are concealed and high on the fence so they can't get to the poison. If a few poison grain bits fall to the ground is that an issue?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
As long as the traps are secured to the fence and there is no risk of them falling on the ground where should could eat the entire thing.
I do not think a few granules will hurt her as long as it does not happen every day.
A toxic dose of tomcat rat bait, for a 10 pound dog, would be 77 grams.