Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience

My dog is acting funny he may have swallowed a chicken bon

My dog is acting funny he may have swallowed a chicken bone.
Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. Since I'm not sure what exactly you're seeing when you say "acting funny", would you mind giving me a bit more detail about exactly what you're seeing as well as detailing exactly what question it is you would like to have addressed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Goining from spot to spot laying down,not barking,acting like he has to go to the bathroom. doesn't want to eat or drink. Panting heavily. Opens his mouth a little bit and kind of licks at his lip.

How long has he been acting like this? Also, any vomiting?

There are a number of things that can cause the signs you're seeing. A chicken bone could get lodged somewhere along the gastrointestinal tract an cause an obstruction or create a hole in the intestines leading to infection. This is a medical emergency when this occurs and needs to be dealt with by a full service veterinary clinic as soon as possible. Often times we'll see vomiting with this.

It's also possible he has something more simple like mild constipation or a urinary issue (inflammation or blockage can cause straining that looks like they're trying to poop). This is less likely if you've seen him urinate normally. If you have not seen him urinating and he might have a urinary obstruction, this also is a medical emergency.

In terms of what you can do at home, you can keep him cool, encourage him to drink some water (low sodium chicken broth can be more enticing), take his rectal temperature (it should be less than 102.5 F), and check his gums (they should be pink and when you press on them, the color should return in 1-2 seconds). You can also try pressing gently on his abdomen and seeing if this elicits pain. If he is willing to eat, try small amounts of a bland diet like plain rice and plain boiled chicken.

If Polar Bear continues to act uncomfortable or continues to be unwilling to eat/drink, he should definitely be evaluated by your regular veterinarian as additional diagnostics would be indicated like bloodwork and/or an x-ray. An x-ray can quickly show if the problem is indeed a chicken bone lodge somewhere and can identify other issues as well. Bloodwork is very useful for evaluating organ function, infection, electrolyte abnormalities, etc.

If you have additional questions or there are other ways in which I can assist, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think he will be ok till the morning?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am just now getting back online. How is Polar Bear today?